We have been able to make a difference in the lives of thousands of children by funding programs at area hospitals between 1991- 2016, many of which we sponsored year after year. Since 2017 we sponsor annual entertainment, programming and toys for year end holiday parties at hospitals in Brooklyn and the New York area including, but not limited to: Bellevue Hospital in New York City, The Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center in Brooklyn, The Brooklyn Hospital in Brooklyn, Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York City, New York Presbyterian-Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital in New York City, and the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City.
December 31, 2016
After our year-end holiday party earlier this month, the Foundation's board members got together, and we were overwhelmed at what a great success the event was—how much joy it gave to the children and their families, and to the hospitals and medical professionals serving them. The evening brought light and warmth to everyone in attendance, and emphasized what an essential role community has always played in the work we do.
Together, we will be continuing the charity for the express purpose of funding year-end holiday parties for the hospitals at which we currently fund programs. That way, we will be better able to focus our fundraising efforts, and will change people's holiday seasons each year by giving the priceless gifts of laughter and love. We hope you can join us on this next phase of our work.
When the Foundation was first established by Edith Zitwer, her three daughters, a niece and a family friend to honor Eugene Zitwer, the organization's primary goal was to bring greater support to seriously ill children and their families in the New York area. And so we will still continue this mission. Above all, we have been doing this work for 25 years because of the community we are able to bring together and nourish.
The Eugene Zitwer Foundation's sole method of fundraising going forward will performed via email, and predominantly in New York, where most of our current partner hospitals are located. We politely ask that you go to http://tinyurl.com/ZitwerFoundation to provide the email address so that you can receive email updates about the Foundation.
Thank you to our donors for supporting us through the past 25 years. Please know that you have helped bring smiles to countless children and families in need.
With gratitude and hope,
Lori, Mary, Sharon and Terry
Bellevue Hospital in New York City - The Uncle Yuddy
Inpatient Playroom Saturday Program; funding for Saturday and
Sunday child-life assistant
Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City - holiday
staffing for the pediatric playroom; funding of crayons and
coloring books for the pediatric emergency
The Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center in
Brooklyn - funding for end of year holiday parties and gifts;
funding for child-life pediatric staff;
The Brooklyn Hospital in Brooklyn - funding of soothing
sounds program, headphones for teens, and wooden CT scan
- Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City - refurbished pediatric playroom;
- Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn - purchase of
electronics; funding for monthly visits by The Prospect Park
Zoo for science programming in out-patient waiting rooms
in-patient children's ward; and funding for part-time weekend child-life assistant; purchase of chalkboard wall decals, canvases, oil colors, paint brushes, doodle chalk markers, art frames, literature rack, and cloud image ceiling tiles with back lighting;
- Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York City - monthly visits by The New York Aquarium for science programming in out-patient waiting areas and in-patient settings;
Mt. Sinai Medial Center in New York City - purchase of
therapy coping dolls for patients undergoing treatment, musical
instruments for music therapy; purchase of DVD players and
movies; funding of Musical Magic with Ukuleles and the Prize,
Prize Prize for KidZone TV programs; purchase of keyboards for
isolated and confined children and their families; purchase of
Game Station Fun;
Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx - purchase of
therapy dolls for patient coping skills and funding for
Musicians on Call music program;
- New York University Langone Medical Center in New York City -entertainment for the pediatric unit at the Rusk Institute, funding of toys and games for new playroom at Rusk Institute; funding of a birthday party and gift program at Rusk Institute; purchase of toys for the pediatric playroom after the advent of Hurricane Sandy, musical and group entertainment for patients in large settings;
- New York Presbyterian-Morgan Stanley Children�s Hospital in New York City - purchase of gifts for patients; purchase of supplies for medical coping project and sound machines for neo-natal unit; funding for night-time child-life assistant; purchase of special toys;
- Schneider Children's Hospital on Long Island - sponsored Uncle Yuddy's Music Buddies program;
- St. Francis Hospital on Long Island - renovated pediatric playroom; partially funded the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory expansion project; and
Wyckoff Heights Medical Center in Brooklyn - funding for
iPads and various items to renovate the treatment and
examination rooms for pediatrics patients experiencing invasive
medical procedures and treatment.
New York Mets Event
Children from Beth Israel Medical Center attending a Mets game in Summer of 2013.
Patients from Brookdale Hospital attending a Met's baseball game during the summer of 2011.
Other Mets Events